Off to the Races Derby Party
In Collaboration with Spoonflower
Styled by Cherry Blossom Events
You’re only 3 steps away from the perfect party.
Review the blueprint and purchase the party items in a few easy steps.
Follow our easy ideas to wow your guests.
Follow our timeline and party tips for seamless execution.
Buy your party items with a few simple clicks.
(prices and availability subject to change)
DECOR ITEMS MADE WITH CUSTOM-PRINTED FABRICS FROM SPOONFLOWER
Congratulations to the winner of Spoonflower x Black Twine’s Off to the Races Design Challenge, “Run for the Roses” by Sarah Treu!
Other Party Decor
We recommend investing in serving ware and cake stands, which you can use over & over for all your entertaining. You can find great deals at Pier 1 Imports, Cost Plus World Market, Target, and HomeGoods.
Prepare perfect party decor.
DIY Bunting Garland
- Cut 20 pieces of the seersucker patterned wrapping paper in 6” x 12” sheets.
- Creating ¾” folds – fold the paper back and forth along the 12” side. Ensure you start with the pattern side up and finish with the pattern side back.
- Fold the piece in half and staple it on center with the staple running perpendicular to the piece. Secure the 2 half sides together to make the ½ circle bunting shape. Glue dots work well for this.
- Continue to make the bunting pieces to create the garland size needed for your display.
- Using a hot glue gun, glue a piece or 1/8” white ribbon in between the folds on the back side to create the garland. Allow 6” of space between each garland piece.
Note: 1 roll of wrapping paper created the garland shown in the images.
Rose Drink Stirrers
- Trim the wood skewers to a height that matches the mint julep cups.
- Trim some red & pink spray roses, just leaving the bloom.
- Press 1 rose down into each wood skewer.
Pull it all together in just a few easy steps.
3 Weeks Prior
Send invitations to your guests
Place floral order (optional)
Order the acrylic horseshoe party favors
Secure rental of any tables or chairs needed for your celebration. We paired white Chiavarri chairs with a custom derby themed fabric print from Spoonflower
Order linens and napkins – we loved the mix of the “Run for the Roses” and a classic blue and white seersucker from Spoonflower and Roostery
2 Weeks Prior
Do an inventory of serving ware that you own and purchase anything you might still need, such as mint julep cups and a mix of silver, gold, and white platters
1 Week Prior
Make DIY garland bunting for mint julep bar backdrop (see Prep Section)
2 Days Prior
Shop for grocery items
1 Day Prior
Lay out the serving dishes on the appetizer table to map out where the food items will be placed the day of the party
Set out the dishes, glasses, flatware, platters and linens that will be used to set the table
Pick up the florals
Make DIY rose drink stirrers (see Prep Section)
Prep appetizers and keep chilled / warm until guests arrive
Set the food table and table(s) where guests will sit
Set out items for the mint julep bar for guests to serve themselves
Set out the food and desserts about 30 minutes before the guests arrive!
Decor: $300 – $600
Food: $100 – $200
Beverage: $100 – $150
TOTAL: $500 – 950
Cherry Blossom Events shares its top tips for pulling off this event.
We served the guests ONEHOPE Sparkling Brut and Mint Juleps made with Backroom Bourbon.
Suggested menu items: mini Kentucky Hot Browns, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, chive deviled eggs, jumbo shrimp cocktail, tomato & caprese skewers, and bourbon balls.
For the floral arrangements, we included roses, ranunculus, mint, and organic greenery, and put them in mint julep cup vases.
For favors, we gave each guest a custom acrylic horseshoe that had “off to the races” engraved on them. We purchased a poster size piece of wood and stained it in a blue/grey shade and then added brass hooks to hold the custom acrylic horseshoe favors. Then we added a touch of Spoonflower fabric to each horseshoe for a fun touch.
Photography: Maison Meredith Photography | Venue: Olin Park Pavillion